Indian Institute of Information Technology, Guwahati, adheres to the rules and guidelines of the Central Vigilance Commission, towards making the institute a righteous and corruption-free organization.

Vigilance related Complaints : For complaints related to mal-practices and corruption or other illegal activities in the organization, complaints may be lodged to the following link :

Process of lodging complaints :

* Please click on the citizen login link in the home web page of the aforementioned link. After registering, provide complete details of the complaints, viz. nature of complaint, the individual(s) against whom complaint is lodged, contact details of the complainant.

* Provision for whistle blower complaints : In cases where the complainants wish to be discrete, under Public Interest Disclosure and Protection of Informer (PIDPI), he/she can lodge complaint. However, in this case complaints must be sent only by post, to CVC. (CENTRAL VIGILANCE COMMISSION,Satarkta Bhavan , Block-A, GPO Complex , INA, New Delhi - 110 023). In these posts, the complainant should refrain from mentioning his/her name and contact details in the envelope. These details should be mentioned in the body of the complaint letter.

For further details of the complaints handling policy, please go through the following document: Click Here

Redressal of Complaints: After receiving any complaint, the CVC will contact CVO of the organization for investigation and resolution. In such cases, the complainants will co-operate with the CVO by providing all supporting documents.

For further information on any vigilance matters, one may go through the latest Vigilance Manual by CVC Click Here

Grievance Cell: For the complaints related to deficiency in delivery of goods and/ or services by the organization, including service, materials, facilities and personnel matters, complaints may be sent to Chairman, Grievance Cell, IIIT Guwahati (grievance@iiitg.ac.in). If complainants fail to get redress to grievances from IIIT Guwahati, they can approach Directorate of Pubic Grievances (DPG) at https://dpg.gov.in for redress of their grievances.